Sunday, October 23, 2011

Second Quarter Kick-Off

We are now into the second quarter of the semester and beginning our second Read for a Lifetime book.  Blogging is a new experience for me - I never blogged before the first quarter assignment.  I can tell you for sure that if it hadn't been assigned, I would not have done it.  During the first quarter, I could have done better, but I think the combination of blogging to an audience - not just to the teacher - and learning the technology of using a blog site take some time to get used to.  I am getting more used to it now.  The first quarter I couldn't get my VLog to upload even though I recorded it over and over at home, and that was frustrating.  So, this quarter I am going to make my recording at school if we have to do it again.  Now that I am more familiar with blogging on blogger.com, I will probably have a little easier time this quarter.  I like blogging more than I like writing papers, but I don't see myself using Facebook or Twitter anytime soon.

This quarter I am reading Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi.  This book was first published in 2010.  The author was born in 1972 and writes science fiction and fantasy books.  This one seems to be a science fiction book.  The story takes place in America around the Gulf Coast.  It doesn't say what year it is, but it must be in the future because there is no more oil, so big oil tankers have been abandoned along the shore, and crews of "ship breakers" are tearing them apart to sell their parts, like the copper, brass, nickel, aluminum and stainless steel.  They also looked for hidden petrol and ship oil pockets which could buy them freedom from ship breaking. 

The main character, Nailer, is a young boy who is small enough to get into the ships ducts to pull out copper wiring for his crew.  He belongs to a crew of people who are desperate to survive, and will do practically anything to get work on a crew.  Nailer's crew is run by a guy named Bapi who is mean and only cares about how much and how fast his crew can strip a ship.  The crew have their crew's symbol carved into their cheeks to show who they work for.  The work is dirty and hard and has practically no reward for the workers who risk their lives to get the parts.  It is also very dangerous work.  The ships are broken down and dark and hard to navigate.  Nailer puts phosphorus paint on his forehead to get light while he crawls in the ships dirty ducts that are also filled with dead rats and dust and sharp rusty edges.

4 comments:

  1. Alright Cody, so i dun did see that ship breaker business, it reminded me a lot of my favorite movie of all time, Waterworld, starring the illustrious Kevin Costner as the mariner. The book sounds kinda interesting, only for that. Other than that, i suppose the presentation of your blog is rather satisfactory you have a nice background here that is particularly reminiscent of the matrix, not only is the matrix also a good movie, but i am currently studying matrices in math class. Now the real question for you, now, as a blogger, is: what would have happened if Neo would have taken BOTH pills? Keep that in mind as you read your book, it'll make it ten times more exciting and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your ideas and points in your first paragraph. I think that even though this whole blogging thing is new, It is a great way of sharing information with each other on the books that we are reading. Its also a good way of finding people who are reading the same books as you! For example: Now i know that you are reading Ship Breaker, and it turns out that i am reading the same book! Your description of Ship Breaker is really interesting and to the point. It really gives a good idea to those who aren't reading the book, what it is about. Over all, this was a good post! Well done. I look foreword to reading your following posts! See Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cody you made this book sound much more interesting than it already was by just giving background info on the it. And to my knowledge this is pretty popular read for a lifetime book at our school.I am considering reading either this or Please Ignore Vera Dietz and it will probaly be the latter. And why are not on Facebook or Twitter what are you Amish. I will try to talk you into using either one the same way i talked you into listening to OFWGKTA.

    ReplyDelete