Sunday, April 29, 2012

Auf Wiedersehen

This is my final post for The Boy Who Dared.  This book was not the first I have read that takes place during World War II and tells the story of those who had to fight against Adolph Hitler and his Nazi regime.  We have studied World War II in History class and read other books about it, but they seemed more like history lessons.  This book was different though because Helmuth Hubener was my age when he was put to death at Plotzensee Prison.  I don’t think I can actually imagine how hard life was for Helmuth Hubener or any of the others who fought and died to stop Hitler.  I admire him and all the others for having the courage to stand up against the Nazis.  Most teenagers go through life asking questions like, I wonder how much homework I will have tonight?, Am I going to have to mow this weekend?, Who’s going to be online today?, How long can I wait until the garbage has to go out?  This all seems so unimportant when you compare these concerns to the life of others like Helmuth Hubener.  I can only hope that if something as horrible as World War II were to take place in the United States, we would stand up and fight for our freedom with everything we have.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Cody. I'm not going to lie, this post was not only surprising, but impressive. You managed to pull me in to enjoying it without the use of any Media, and although there is a chance that Mrs. Hayes will deduct points for this reason, I think that it was an extremely thoughtful and touching. I read this book as well, and didn't consider trying to connect the book with my life. I think that the way you connected the questions that Helmuth faced with questions we ask ourselves everyday was incredibly interesting. Well done. I look foreword to reading more of your Posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm Michael from Fremd. This is really interesting. In school, I am taking this class called World Affairs, where we learn about all these current events and tensions in the world. We learned about human rights violations and genocide and like you said we, as Americans, don't really experience hardships that others do. We think our worst days are bad, but there are people being murdered and starved to death by their leader, like in North Korea. That's why my friends and I always end a complaint with this statement, "First World Problems." Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book pop up here and there. I want to read it now. I've always been interested in stories revolving around world war II. The only one I've read so far is the Book Thief. This book sounds pretty promising, too.
    -Melissa Chyan from Fremd High

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you related this book to highschool students. The book sounds very interesting and I am going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm Maddy from Fremd. Your blog definitely shed light on those annoying "What if?" questions. I think if something like the holocaust was to happen in the U. S. people would fight to do the right thing. When you think about it, the U. S. really doesn't like to be oppressed, especially from it's own leaders. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting book relating to an interesting time in history! I'm not much of a World War kind of person, but seems like an interesting enough book to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the relations you made between the book and to students! It is a great way of attracting high school students and their interests

    ReplyDelete